Thursday, March 8, 2012

Gag Me with a Spoon

I just read an article from a whistleblower on "pink slime". My god! (and I'm not even religious!).
I copy below a gut-renching selection from this article:

“Pink slime” is largely made up of connective tissue that used to be reserved only for dog foods. It was not classified as “meat” because it was largely seen as unfit for human consumption. It also contains ammonia, which is used to kill off bacteria so people who eat it do not get sick. ...The meat industry now refers to it as “lean finely textured beef,” but in a government memo USDA scientist Gerald Zirnstein coined the term “pink slime,” which now appears to have stuck.

This week I had two major blows to my psyche: One involved a FedEx package which was held up for a week until the dry ice evaporated and the other one this pink slime revelation. Really, if you can't trust FedEx or your friendly hamburger place, what is left?

The article link is  http://tinyurl.com/7a2ycnr 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews